NEC-LIST: CFA Challenge

From: Roy Lewallen <w7el_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 12:18:12 -0800

The following posting recently appeared on the
rec.radio.amateur.antenna newsgroup. The poster, Chip, is Dr. Nathan
Cohen of Fractenna.

Roy Lewallen

      -------- begin posting --------

This is repeated from a post I recently made on Antennex at:

http://www.antennex.com

This was posted on the compact antenna forum. I would appreciate it if
this challenge was widely disseminated to all those with interest in
the CFA.

Thanks es 73,
Chip N1IR

For many months now we have heard on Antennex that CFA's are
remarkably efficient antennas. This is despite presentations from
Jefferies(also given here on Antennex), Belrose, and others that the
'new physics' explanation for the CFA's alleged performance is
incorrect; that model and measurements of the CFA show very poor
efficiency; and that a high efficiency (very electrically small)
antenna cannot be broad band.

I thus pose the following challenge: I will pay $10,000 to the first
person or group who can demonstrate--using one or more of standard
metrological methods--that the efficiency of a CFA less than 2% of a
wavelength in size is in excess of 90%. Such an alleged radiator must
also possess the broad band characteristics also ascribed to the CFA.

This is a serious challenge, with absolutely no malice , spite, or
'agenda', other than to reveal: 1) the claims for CFA performance are
not accurate and thus; 2) the requirement for 'new physics' to explain
such alleged performance is not needed.

Only an accurate, scientific, and repeatable demonstration of the
alleged high efficiency of the CFA will allow one to consider exotic
new explanations. This challenge is a clear incentive to show that for
those who believe it can be shown.

Room temperature friends; no superconductors;-)

73 Chip N1IR