Re: NEC-LIST: dxf to NEC converter required

From: John Biddiscombe <j.biddiscombe_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 07:24:41 +0000

> Can anyone help me with a program to convert AutoCad DXF files to
> NEC input format please ?

I've no idea what the NEC format is, but I have released a fairly
comprehensive set of (Delphi pascal) code for reading DXF files
www.rcru.rl.ac.uk/~jab/dxf

It'll read virtaully any DXF file (as far I know) up to release 13,
but probably not the newer release 14 files.

You may be able to kludge something together from it. I have also
converted much of it to C++ and am using it myself with
VTK. (Visualization Toolkit - www.kitware.com) which has extensive
support for things like Finite element meshes etc etc. I think it was
on this forum that I saw something about "Gridding up vehicles" with
meshes. I've done similar stuff using vtk and can recommend it.

Also - there's a library called DIME (DXF import manipulation and
export) which might be free for research use, it's a c++ library for
doing stuff with DXF files. I don't have the url handy but you may
find it with a quick web search and if not, I can dig up a link.

If anyone can send me brief details of the NEC file format, I may be
able to knock up a DXF->NEC converter program, but I'm very busy so
won't guarantee it. However, I'd quite like to do an Importer for vtk
so that I could experiment with NEC models (I'm in the process of
converting a large amount of propagation code into a standard set of
libraries I can interface directly to VTK and have wondered if some
NEC code might be interesting to play with)

John B

Theoretical Modelling Group
Radio Communications Research Unit (RCRU) Tel : +44 (0)1235 445709
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) Fax : +44 (0)1235 446140
Chilton j.biddiscombe_at_rl.ac.uk
Oxon
OX11 OQX
UK