Re: NEC-LIST: Ice on Radomes

From: Barry L. Ornitz <ornitz_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:34:23 -0500

Ray LaRue mentioned Teflon-based coatings to prevent ice from
sticking. I used to work for W. L. Gore +ACY- Associates (Newark, DE,
and Elkton, MD). Their fabric-like material, Gore-Tex, is used in
many radomes. It has an exceptionally low dielectric loss, is
impermeable to water, and in clothing applications it
+ACI-breathes+ACI-. It too is PTFE (because Gore buys the polymer
from many companies, not just DuPont, they call the material by its
chemical name - polytetrafluoroethylene).

At one time Gore made a small Gore-Tex cover for home satellite TV
dishes. It was quite effective in keeping off snow, ice, and bird
droppings. I am not sure if it is still made. They still make
material for large radomes. Some data may be found at:

http://www.gore.com/electronics/pages/cable/microwave/fabrics.htm

Barry L. Ornitz WA4VZQ ornitz+AEA-tricon.net