Re: NEC-LIST: Ice on Radomes

From: Tim Foo <fwj_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:55:27 +0800

(Considering the current icy condition in US) A quick fix would be to
apply a layer of 'silicon based water repellent' and treat the fabric
latter when the weather is warmer. I know that 3 M makes a spray can
for fabrics, you can find these product in shoe shops. It depends on
the size of the random, if it is the size of a house then this spray
can will be out of the question. On the other hand if it is less than
2 X 2 X 2 meters, it is feasible. I would not worry too much about
0.5 to 1 dB of attenuation that may show up on 'clinical tests'. It
will work the same as goretex/tefelon.

I would be very worried about the radome structure collapsing under the
weight of accumulated snow.
:-)

Tim Foo