Re: NEC-LIST: Fano criteria

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:19:14 -0500

>Hello
>
>I would like to know if anyone can tell me where I can get hold of the
>1950 article by R.M. Fano, "Theoretical limitations on the broadband
>matching of arbitrary impedances", J. Franklin Institute, vol. 249,
>nos 1-2, pp 57-83 & 139-154 Jan-Feb.
>
>Thank you very much
>
>David de Haaij

David,

Any Technical/Scientific Library (University or Research
Establishment) will be able to get a copy of Fano's paper for you, for
a minimal cost.

We have tried to use his techniques ( c40 years ago) to broadband
match electrically short whip antennas, and to broaden the frequency
response of dipole antennas, with some success. But manual/or
automatically tuning an Antenna System Tuning Unit (ASTU) always gave
better performance.

While Fano's approach is unique, viz. one tries to design a network
that has an impedance vs. frequency response that is the inverse
response of the antenna system's response, perhaps (?) nowadays better
techniques are possible base on Genetic Algorithms operating with NEC
(c.f. papers by E. Michielssen, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, and Randy Haupt, University of Nevada, Reno, NV).

73, Jack

John S. (Jack) Belrose, PhD Cantab, VE2CV
Senior Radioscientist
Radio Sciences Branch
Communications Research Centre
PO Box 11490 Stn. H