NEC-LIST: CEM question

From: Tim Foo <fwj_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:20:38 +0800

Hi,

Can some help to figure out the computational resources needed for
such a problem? I am trying to figure out if a souped-up PC can
handle such a problem.

If one were using FDTD it is 6 variables per node (Ex,Ey,Ez,Hx,Hy,Hz),
TLM is 18 variables per node.

Let see, if the dimension of the computational volume is 1mX0.7mX1m(?)
(may be a reasonable size but at 10 GHz..) where L=3 cm one may end up
modelling (discretise) the volume into 3 mm size cells( using the
LAMBDA/10 rule) i.e. 334 X 234 X 334 or so cells/nodes ( 26,104,104 )
and pulling a figure from thin air, at say 80 MB per 1E6 nodes, it
fill up approx. 2.1GB.

I suppose a computer with 2 GB RAM can do the job without sloshing
massive amount of data in and out of the HDD into RAM. I suppose, at
66 MB/s this will take forever ...

At 10GHz the period is 334E-12 s and at 3 mm spacing between nodes the
propagation time per node is approx. 10E-12s...

Umm... would anyone know how many iterations per cycle (@ the fastest
PC speed money can buy) and how long would such a problem take... ?

Thanks in advance

Tim Foo