Re: NEC-LIST: Horn Antenna

From: Seregelyi, Mr. Joe, S. <Joe.Seregelyi_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:04:00 -0500

Greetings:

What you require can easily be done with a tapered slot antenna using
either a linear or exponential (Vivialdi) profile. These are PCB
antennas which are easily and inexpensively fabricated. They can also
be designed with a co-axial feed, which simplifies interfacing to the
remainder of your test equipment.

A good overview, with numerous references, is available in 'Advances
in Microstrip and Printed Antennas', Lee and Chen, ISBN 0-471-04421-0.
However, since this is a common antenna design, several other good
references are also available.

An alternative is a double ridge guide antenna. A commercial version
is available from, for example, EMCO (model 3115). These are
reasonable simple to build, but my experience is that it is cheaper to
buy them if you do not have in-house machine shop facilities and
proper calibration equipment.

I advise you to acquire two identical antennas for calibration
purposes, particularly in the relatively small chamber you have
available. You may not have enough separation between the antennas,
especially at the lower frequencies, to properly consider the antennas
in the far field.

At 04:47 PM 2/15/2000 EST, you wrote:

>I'd like to construct a wide band horn antenna covering from about 1
>GHz to 10 GHz or so.
>
>This is used only to generate a field inside a small EMC Chamber (
>about 1 metre by 0.7 metres ), so I'm not worried about gain flatness
>etc....

Best Regards ... Joe

Joe Seregelyi, M.Eng, P.Eng
Radio Sciences
Communications Research Centre Canada (CRC)
3701 Carling Ave., Box 11490, Station H
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. K2H 8S2.

Phone: (613) 998-5576 e-mail: joe.seregelyi_at_crc.ca
Fax: (613) 998-4077 WWW: http://www.crc.ca