RE: NEC-LIST: Low angle radiation?

From: Dreher, Achim <Achim.Dreher_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:10:47 +0100

Hi Jack,

I do not quite agree with your explanation of radiation. The
acceleration of charges happens along the whole antenna. The drift
velocity of charges in metals is very low (some mm/s or maybe cm/s).

So if the antenna is excited with a source of e.g. 1 MHz, each charge
oscillates around its position of rest with 1 MHz and very low
amplitude. It never sees the end of the dipole. Since the oscillation
is harmonic, the same holds for the acceleration (second derivative
w.r.t time). To inquire as to the causes of radiation from the
viewpoint of charges is not easy, since the cause for the oscillation
of the charges is the guided wave along the antenna and all the
charges themselves cause radiation.

Regards,

Achim

Dr.-Ing. Achim Dreher Tel.: +49-8153-28-2314
Deutsches Zentrum fuer Fax: +49-8153-28-1135
Luft- und Raumfahrt e. V. E-Mail: achim.dreher_at_dlr.de
Oberpfaffenhofen

D-82234 Wessling

GERMANY