RE: NEC-LIST: Definition of Gain

From: Taylor, Matthew A <matthew.a.taylor_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:48:20 -0500

George,

Glad you asked!

1) Although the current IEEE definition of antenna gain does not
include mismatch loss (it's defined for a complex conjugate matched
load), nobody I know of out here in the real world (industry) backs
out the mismatch loss when reporting measured gain. So, I vote to
modify the definition to fit the defacto standard. Define gain to
include mismatch loss when an antenna is connected to its nominal
output impedance (for instance, 50 ohms or 75 ohms).

2) Same idea - antenna gain should include polarization mismatch loss.
It would be much more difficult to measure, otherwise, and I don't
know anybody that does that in industry.

3) Yes, I believe the definition of gain for both transmit and receive
should be the same. What a monkey wrench that would throw into the
works if they weren't!

Matt Taylor