NEC-LIST: Definition of Gain

From: Noel McDonald <nmcdonald_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:49:01 +1000

George,

Andre Fourie has broadened the discussion with his good suggestion
regarding gain at directions other than the maximum.

Another issue is that dB usage implies a reference, and my suggestion
is that the reference for gain or directivity must be shown
explicitly, for example "dBi" when the reference is a lossless
isotropic radiator (a common reference for microwave antennas) and
"dBd" when the reference is a lossless half-wave dipole (a common
reference for VHF and UHF broadcasting). The plain but still common
"dB" is too vague.

For the three main questions asked, my vote is to keep the mismatch
and polarization correction terms out of the gain definition, and to
have anything other than the same gain for transmitting and receiving
at the same frequency and in an environment of linear isotropic
materials would cause absolute havoc with reciprocity concepts.

Regards,

Noel McDonald

Radio Frequency Systems
Australia

This email and any attachments are confidential and are
intended solely for the recipient. The contents and any
attachments are the opinion of the sender and not
necessarily that of RFS Australia