Re: NEC-LIST: Definition of Gain

From: Roland Mueller <rsmueller_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 07:02:04 -0500

Hello to Matt and others on the list,

Just a note, the IEEE definition of gain does not include polarization
mismatch or impedance mismatch losses. In addition, when NEC computes
the gain of a modelled wire antenna, these factors are also not
included in the gain figure. These losses are certainly real and
should be accounted for as far as system performance is concerned.
Short of saying that one method should be used over another, I would
like to point out the importance of defining the exact meaning of gain
in antenna specifications, rather than making assumptions. Otherwise,
I have found that alot of confusion and wasted money can arise from
omitting the exact definition of gain in a specification.

All the best,
Roland Mueller