Re: NEC-LIST: Definition of Gain

From: Brian Austin <ee104_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:52:29 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

George,

1. To me antenna gain has always been a feature of the antenna alone,
therefore transmission line effects should be treated separately. We
surely ignore all coupling between the antenna and its surroundings,
such as its image in the ground, and treat the antenna in isolation,
i.e. in free space, when defining its gain. The transmission line is
incidental to this process, though rather important in practice! But
that is a separate issue.

2. Polarization mismatch implies two antennas (at least). It
therefore is not a factor that should be included when assessing the
gain of any of them.

3. Reciprocity tells us they're the same. I've always believed that
to be true!

Brian.

Dr B.A.Austin
Department of Electrical Engineering & Electronics
University of Liverpool
Brownlow Hill
Liverpool L69 3GJ
United Kingdom