Re: NEC-LIST: Definition of Gain

From: Benjamin F. Dawson III <ben-dawson_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 10:22:10 -0800

George:

Re your inquiry about antenna standards and definitions, here is my
two-cents worth:

1. Antenna gain should be defined in terms of a complex conjugate
matched antenna. Those of us who deal with antennas that are a
project rather than a product (ie, LF, MF, HF versus most VHF, UHF,
microwave) always have to assume the possibility of some antenna match
as another black box in the circuit/power budget calculations. The
dividing line is a little lower in frequency than the line between the
world of reference dipoles and reference isotropes. The more complex
definition is less subject to misinterpretation, and therefore is, in
my view, to be preferred.

2. Polarization mismatch "loss" should be independent of the gain
definition. Once again, although more complex, I believe it to be
less subject to misinterpretation if shown independently in system
budget data.

3. I do not understand why this question is asked. Why should it be
different? If there is some difference due to antenna environment or
other non-linearity effects, it too should be called out as a separate
item in the system calculations.

Thanks for asking.

SINCE I AM SENDING THIS TO THE NEC-LIST LET ME ADD ANOTHER ITEM:

The March 2001 edition of the IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting will
be a special issue on "Antennas for Broadcasting." The WORD document
at

  http://members.home.net/propagation/Antenn_1.doc

describes the types of papers desired.

If any of the NEC-List subscribers have even a slight desire to put
together a paper on these or related topics PLEASE advise me (I am the
guest editor) or Ted Kuligowski (t.kuligowski_at_ieee.org), the
Transactions Editor-in-Chief.

I am especially interested in finding authors on antennas for ENG,
Microwave, DTV receiving, and wideband VHF/UHF transmission.

Thanks much,
ben dawson
Benjamin F. Dawson III, P.E.
Hatfield & Dawson Consulting Engineers