Re: NEC-LIST: Definition of Gain

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:13:05 -0500

George Hagn <hagn_at_wdc.sri.com> wrote:

> 1) Do you believe that the definition of gain (of an antenna), when
> used with no qualifying adjective, should include mismatch loss or
> be defined in terms of a complex conjugate matched antenna?

Mismatch loss should not be included in "antenna gain". Matching is a
separable problem. I think most engineers take this view. It also
makes sense (to me) in terms of partitioning a system into manageable
pieces. I'm not denying that some antennas that have good gain may be
difficult to match, and that often gain can be traded for matching.

> 2) Do you believe that polarization mismatch in a link budget
> context should be part of the definition of gain or treated
> separately?

Similarly, and with no intention to minimize the importance of
polarization mismatch in a link budget, polarization mismatch should
be called out separately. Again, this is what I'm accustomed to
seeing in specifications and budgets.

> 3) Do you believe that the definition of gain for a receive antenna
> should be the same as for a transmit antenna?

Yes. Isn't this standard practice? Why do you ask?

-Chuck W1HIS