NEC-LIST: Patents

From: Rudy Severns <rudys_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:20:36 -0800

Hello All,

    We have been having a great laugh about the faster than light
patent and if that's all that was going on it would be great fun.
Unfortunately this patent is only the tip of a very large iceberg in
the sea lanes of progress.

    The patent office is very "porous" in all areas and patents with
dubious validity are issued regularly. The feeling within the patent
office seems be "we don't have the resources for properly judge every
application, let them sort it out in court if it is really important".
This has had the unfortunate effect of generating a flood of
litigation which is costing industry hundreds of millions of dollars.
A dead drag on the economy unless you are a patent attorney.

    I have personally been involved with this problem in my own
technical area and it is a disaster!

    Attempts to remedy the situation have proven to be very difficult.
The patent office is one of the oldest bureaucracies in our government
and changing attitudes within this dinosaur may not be possible.

Have a nice day!

Rudy Severns