Re: NEC-LIST: Electrically "short" antennas ...

From: Ray LaRue <w4byg_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 07:56:37 -0700

Jos said:
"I must mention that your loop antenna is not "short" at the high end
(1 GHz) of your frequency range. It is more than a quarter wavelength
in circumference, and therefore the voltage and current (which vary
more or less sinusoidally along the wire) can have the full range of
values between a minimum and a maximum of a standing wave."

I think you'll find in most published antenna literature that a loop
with a circuferance of less than 1/3 wavelength is still considered a
"small loop". It still displays the same classic figure eight
radiation pattern off the ends of the loop. It does not have the
broadside pattern of a dipole. A 1/4 circumferance loop is in fact, a
very efficient radiator.

73,
Ray, W4BYG