NEC-LIST: Site Attenuation Measurement / Antenna Factors ...

From: Doug McKean <dmckean_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 08:15:36 -0700

Hello All,

Question is in reference to FCC style Open Area Test Site (OATS)
attenuation measurement ...

What's to prevent me from doing a 10 meter site attenuation
measurement of an OATS with two wideband antennas hooked up to a
network analyzer? Everything is 50 ohms? The network analyzer is
just measuring a bigger circuit, no? Cable losses, and antenna
factors can be entered in to the network analyzer I think for
compensation. Then, the site attenuation could just be read off a
graph directly and continuously. One for horizontal, the other for
vertical ...

How about the same setup for determining antenna factors?

Common way of doing it is to drive one antenna with a signal
generator, receive the other with a spectrum analyzer or emi receiver.
Take measurements, tabulate the site or calculate antenna factors (I'm
simplifying it of course).

What am I missing here?

Regards, Doug