Re: NEC-LIST: Antenna Matching

From: Alexandre Kampouris <ak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:30:24 +0200

Bonjour!

Your inductance values appear to be off by a factor of 1E6, ie, we're
talking about microhenries. A quick check with a calculator shows that
the first combination works when the reactance of the antenna is
positive, I have doubts with the second one.

But in this particular case, there is a much better and simpler
solution to mucking about with a custom built matching circuit : get
an amateur radio HF adjustable tuner, which should give adequate
performance under a wide variety of conditions. The procedure to tune
this with an SWR bridge is straightforward : adjust for best results!

Ask around, you should be available to find one second hand, otherwise
a new 100W model shouldn't damage much your research budget. Moreover,
you can change the frequency or the physical setting of your antenna.

As to baluns, I hope you did your impedance measurements with
one. Standard technique at 20MHz are toroidal transformers. For a
technical description, look in the ARRL's Radio Amateur's
handbook. (The Réseau des Emetteurs Français also has
interesting publications)

High power broadband toroidal transformer based HF baluns can be found
from the same source as your antenna tuner.

Salutations,

Alexandre