Re: NEC-LIST: Help with GNEC error message.

From: Wan Juang Foo <fwj_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:22:32 +0800

Hi,

I am not familiar with GNEC but in general if it is a Method of
Moments code, here are my 2 cents worth.

Have you been monitoring the hard disk <-> processor traffic and your
% free space after setting up the problem?

Looks like there is a possibility that (if it is NOT a Beowulf/Avalon
type of computer ) the hard disk ran out of temporary storage for
those intermediate iterations while solving the matrix.

Can anyone help me figure this out ....
5826 segments means 5826 X 3 = 17478 variables (assuming Ex Ey & Ez
and the segments is not is a dielectric medium, which would require
double the number of variables... ) and so the matrix would take
17478^2 = 3.05480484E+8 matrix location and each location, say if it
is work out with 4 bytes arithmetic, hence the memory requirement is
... (I suppose) 1.221921936E+9 bytes. Then I should say that the hard
disk should have swap space for at least 1.34411413E+9 (1281 MB) based
on a 10% allowance for the operating system.

With 'tight-budget' technology ( not the state of the art, I must add
... ) , I should say that this problem is 'doable' with a 1 GB (ECC)
desktop computer type computer with say a 1GHz uP, with a reasonably
fast front side bus (133 MHz SDRAM should be OK, DDR and RDRAM is a
bit stiff at this moment though) a 20 GB ATA/66 (or if there is
avaliable ATA/100 controller for the ) hard disk.

Tim Foo <fwj_at_np.edu.sg>
ECE Dept, http://www.np.edu.sg/ece/
Ngee Ann Polytechnic,
535 Clementi Road,