NEC2: Array Out of Bounds

From: Carlier, Paul <pcarlier_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:39:24 +0100

Dear Fellow CEMists,

Many thanks Paul Halsema, from a somewhat red faced individual! I was
convinced that I had tried turning off the bounds checking in CVF
without success, but Paul's suggestion prompted me to try again
and, lo and behold, it worked. I must have somehow fouled up the
first time, being new to the CVF interface.

The strange thing is, there was no run time error message, the program
just froze. I only found out what was happening by stepping with the
debugger. I would have thought that a sensible bounds checker would
tell you where the problem was, or at least that it was a bounds
problem that had stopped the program. It will probably turn out that
such messaging is there but that I have it suppressed, so I guess I'll
have to read the help!

Now, I suppose the question is whether the compiler is correctly
treating the arrays as assumed arrays or if the data could be
overwritten in memory under certain circumstances. I will
investigate.

Many thanks,

Paul Carlier
pcarlier_at_fanfield.co.uk