Re: NEC-LIST: Contrawound Toroidal Helical Antenna

From: D. B. Miron <dbmiron_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:08:57 -0600

Good day John Wood;

    Odd that your inquiry should show up today. Yesterday I
received notice that IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation
will publish my paper "A Study of the CTHA Based on
Analytical Models". I have done considerable analysis and
simulation work on this antenna. Before I was hired to work
on it, there was a lot of unfounded hype about the CTHA.

    In summary, it is a self-shorting transmission line with
radiaating very small loops due to its windings. It can be
designed to have an isotropic power pattern at the 1st and
3rd line resonances. This is due to the space-phase shift
across the major diameter. Like small crossed loops, it is
variously polarized, not circularly as often claimed. Also
like small loops, efficiency is a major issue. Reasonably
useful versions can be designed, but they must not use too
many turns in the windings.

    The analytical work was based on an air core. When the
windings are done on or in a dielectric, the problem goes
beyond my analytical capabily at this points. I developed a
numerical model for some spook group of the U.S. Army.
Using dielectric cores seems to improve the efficiency, and,
when the pattern has dips, it is skewed somewhat. The group
either lost interest or money, so the numerical model has
not progressed beyond a preliminary, inefficient, form.

    If you have any further interest, please feel free to
contact me.

Sincerely,
Doug Miron

Douglas B. Miron