RE: NEC-LIST: Modeling copper strip helical antenna

From: Steven Best <sbest_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:40:33 -0500

Kenghua:

ALL of the QFH and monofilar helix antennas we constructed were
fabricated with brass strip rather than round wire. The NEC model of
the helical antenna as a round wire still provides good correlation
with measured data. As long as the strip width is not excessively
wide, modeling the antenna with round wire should be fine (see comment
below on diameter). In the NEC model, the wire diameter should be
about 1/2 the strip wide. With a QFH, a strip only starts to present
a problem if the gap between the strips is much smaller than the strip
width.

The other related issue that you should be aware of is that, in some
cases, the radiation patterns calculated with NEC will change
(sometimes significantly) as a function of the wire diameter chosen
with helical structures. On the other hand, I never spent much effort
to measure helices with changing diameter to see if the measurements
correlated with the NEC results. It would be interesting to know if
anyone else has ...

Steve Best