NEC-LIST: An interface to NEC in Mathematica

From: Wayne Shanks <wshanks3_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:35:17 -0200

My name is Wayne Shanks

I am a RF engineer with a BS in physics.

I am now working on printed antenna designs.
I am using Microwave office 2000 and some other RF design packages, but
I would like to use NEC to do some of my more ambitious antenna designs
and optimizations.

I would like to implement genetic algorithm and possibly simulated
annealing to search for good solution to some of my problems.

To this end I am writing an interface to NEC in Mathematica.

I currently have about a dozen NEC commands implemented in Mathematica.

I will be happy to share this system with the group.

I hope I can get suggestions and pick some of your brain on the finer
points of NEC.

Perhaps a few of you might like to contribute a subroutine.

Attached with this message is my Mathematica interface so far.

[Since attachments are not permitted, I've uploaded the file to

 http://members.home.net/nec-list/NEC_antenna_001.nb (13 kB) -- DGM]

If you have Mathematica, put this Mathematics notebook in the same
directory as your NEC executable.

Currently I am using "Nec2d1k4", but that can be changed easily in the
definition of the "Spawn" command.

Currently documentation is next to nothing, but I will add things as I
go along.

Here is my first question.....

can you simulate a dielectric or feroelectric object with a patch or
wire mesh frame with mostly imaginary impedance?

Ideally I would like to make a Mathematica subroutine that can
automatically create a rectangular or triangular mesh with the desired
electrical properties.

Wayne Shanks