NEC-LIST: Compact Loops

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:13:27 -0500

In 1993 I wrote an article, published in the November issue of QST
entitled "An Update on Compact Transmitting Loops". Since that article
was publish many amateurs in radio have written articles on compact
loops, describing various versions fabricated; and questions have been
asked concerning expected performance; concerning the ability of NEC
to model small loop antennas; and, concerning practical aspects,
viz. why some loops do not work very well, whereas other loop antenna
arrangements (are said to??) work better than NEC predicts. And
surprisingly whether a compact loop behaves like a magnetic loop or a
small folded dipole [Underhill and Blewett, July 1997]??

Underhill and Blewett are continuing to pursue their ideas, with some
vigor. Their latest paper [July 2000] is entitled "Unidirectional
Tuned Loop Antennas using combined Loop and Dipole Modes".

My experiences with compact transmitting loops, and comments on the
above are summarized in a 14-page article, published in the March 2001
issue of AntenneX.

For Subscribers to the NEC-List interested in this topic, who are not
Subscribers to AntenneX, I can send you directly a pdf copy of my
article (it is fair sized file, about 880 kb, 2.8 Mb if you want a
super print optimized copy).

Regards, Jack

John S. (Jack) Belrose, PhD Cantab, VE2CV
Radioscientist Emertis
Radio Sciences Branch
Communications Research Centre
PO Box 11490 Stn. H