Re: NEC-LIST: Linear Phased Antenna Array

From: Hideho YAMAMURA <hyamamu_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:55:20 +0900

Dear All,

Could anybody tell me why the characteristic impedance of 50 ohms in
coax. cables became a standard value ?

I have believed that this is the minimum loss condition, but I found
in an old Mushiake's book that it is around 77 ohms for air dielectric
solid metal coax, and even higher when dielectric material filled.

I highly appreciate any information.

I apologize if this is not an suitable subject for the list, but I
believe someone else may want to know too.

Hideho YAMAMURA,
Senior-Engineer,
Hardware Technology Engineering Department,
Advanced Product and Technology Development Operation,
Enterprise Server Division,
Hitachi, Ltd.