Re: NEC-LIST: Broadband VHF Whip

From: Jim Lux <jimlux_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:31:36 -0800

From: "John B. Wood" <wood_at_itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: NEC-LIST: Broadband VHF Whip

> zvi frank wrote:
>
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > Has anybody got any ideas on making a VHF whip 50 cms long with a
> > bandwidth from 30 to 88 MHz. It seems to me a tall order? Thanks in
> > advance,

<snip>

> The frequency range cited is a tactical U.S. military VHF band used
> principally by the Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System
> (SINCGARS).
<snip>

Well, I don't know that SINCGARS is the prinicipal user of the Low VHF
band... Some users that spring immediately to mind are the California
Highway Patrol, countless Taxi companies, Television channels 2-6,
etc. Low VHF is a pretty popular band for those needing land mobile
radio services where they may go beyond line of sight and/or don't
want to have zillions of basestations. I'd guess, based on spectrum
measurements in the Los Angeles, CA area, that the vast majority of
users of that band are non-US government, based on almost any metric
you care to name (radiated power, number of users, etc.)

As far as "military" users go, the low VHF band has been popular for
tactical radios for decades. Various and sundry radios made by Racal,
Collins, etc. and sold worldwide operate in this band. Typical
channel spacing for NBFM would be 25 kHz. Lots of frequency hoppers
in this band too.