RE: Re: NEC-LIST:Proper Antenna Patterns

From: <ghagn_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:39:11 -0400

Chuck, et al:

If an antenna in the real world is mismatched at the feed, this can cause
currents to flow on the outside of the shield of the coax from the source/
sink (transmitter or receiver) to the antenna. These extra currents (which are
usually not modeled in NEC) do contribute to the pattern measured. I measured
the pattern impact of the currents on the outside of a coax feeding a
half-wave dipole (i.e., single feedpoint or port) using the XELEDOP full-scale
pattern measurement system developed by SRI (then Stanford Research Institute)
back in the 1960s. It took me some minor sleuthing to see what was causing the
pattern perturbations I had measured, but I confirmed my suspicions that it
was feedline radiation by installing a balun and watching the effect go away!

So I think we need to be careful about generalizations which may apply to the
model, and its assumptions, but which may not apply in a real-world
implementation.

George