Re: NEC-LIST: Abuse [somewhat OT]

From: Alexandre Kampouris <ak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:32:31 +0100

At 18:40 26/11/01, roger.cox_at_telex.com wrote:
>On a slightly different subject, how secure is the NEC-List of email
>addresses? In other words, is it sold to spammers? I am getting from
>10-12 spams every day here at work, and had about 40-50 over the long
>weekend.

There is [was?] a NEC-LIST archive at TU-Delft, which a spambot could easily comb. Last time I looked for it I couldn't find it anymore. However, these lists are extremely persistent and tend to spread and merge, I still receive spam addressed to e-mails I've briefly used on Usenet as far back as 6 years ago.

Moreover, unless otherwise configured, e-mail list servers can provide a subscriber list on demand. I think that the NEC-LIST and PROP-L servers are configured for privacy, Dave will probably confirm.

Spambots also appear to leech domain name registrars, when it's not the registrar themselves who send undesired e-mail [Verisign...]

Alexandre