Re: NEC-LIST:NEC--LIST: Smith Chart.

From: Jacob Schanker <schanker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:09:19 -0400

Thank you Ram, I agree.

I, too, would like to stand up in support of Phillip H. Smith's Circular
Transmission Line Chart, a.k.a. the Smith Chart.

Mastering the Smith Chart was to have negotiated the an arcane initiation
ritual into the mysteries of impedance, admittance, and transmission lines.
The bilinear transformation that maps the infinite, unknowable extant of
Cartesian RX coordinates into the self-contained domain of the Smith Chart
is a wonder to behold. And, due homage has been paid to Phillip Smith by
suceeding generations of initiates.

Graphical approaches may have been developed simply as calculational aids.
In a pre-calculator, pre-computer time, complex number calculations were
time-consuming and prone to error. I started out in that era, and can
attest. Graphical techniques were a practical time-saving approach.

But, graphical techniques also embody a context within which to understand.
Smith Charts, Carter Charts, Bode Plots, Nyquist Plots, Nichols Diagrams,
all aid understanding as well as computation.

I am thankful we have the wonderful computational tools we do. One of the
first uses to which I put my Apple II years ago was to do transmission line
calculations. MiniNEC followed shortly after, and I would often run three
Apple IIs on the same problem overnight to get three frequency points. It
was my own early form of parallel processing.

But, don't blow off the Smith Chart. It has a permanent place alongside all
the newer tools we have, and will develop.

Jacob Z. Schanker, P.E.
65 Crandon Way
Rochester, NY 14618

Tel: 585 442 3909