Re: NEC-LIST:NEC--LIST: Smith Chart.

From: Rob <rob_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:09:41 -0700

Grant Bingeman wrote:

> Very well put, Doug! Although I must admit that I secretly envy those who
> own an Emeloid Smith Chart circular slide rule. Anybody want to sell me
> one? Seriously. Plus I like the "feel" of seeing a plot of impedances
> corkscrewing on a Smith Chart. By the way, does anybody know of the
> Mazu-Hachi chart, which may have preceded the Smith Chart? Not sure of the
> correct spelling of the Japanese name there.
>
> Grant Bingeman
> www.qsl.net/km5kg
> --

I am lucky to be able to use Agilent ADS for cascade S-parameter
analysis. However, nothing beats a Smith chart tool for quickly
determining some L-C network for matching. Usually I get a few working
networks from the Smith chart, then plug the standard component S-param
blocks into ADS. There are always parasitics to take into account, so
the Smith chart just gets me close. But from there its easy to fine
tune the network. Usually, I get first pass success. If the freq is
high enough, I usally try to model my pc board traces as TX lines. Rob.

ps. Try out Vipec that was mentioned by someone. Its still being
developed but works well. Another great tool for experimenters is
Ansoft's Serenade demo.
Serenade has a wonderful Smith chart tool.