Re: NEC-LIST:nec2 newbie question: Biconical antenna

From: rsmueller <rsmueller_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:37:36 -0400

Hi Stefan,

.The N type connector covers a higher range of frequencies than the BNC and
would yield a broader range of measurement in terms of frequency. Also, the
N-type connector is a better mechanical connection, since it is threaded.
BNC's are a little less dependable and more prone to fail. I would suggest
an N connector on the antenna.. If the spectrum analyzer you are using has
a BNC input, then it would be best to use a BNC connector on the antenna
feed cable to avoid having to use an extra BNC/N adaptor.

As far as information about biconical antennas is concerned, I can't suggest
any references at this moment since my antenna library is packed away in
boxes. I am currently looking for a new job. However, the biconical
antenna is pretty simple in that it has alot of similar characteristics to a
dipole, except over a broader range of frequencies due to it's "fatter"
construction. I also suggest that you feed it with a baun device to supress
the coax cable radiation.

All the best,
Roland