RE: NEC-LIST:nec2 newbie question: Biconical antenna

From: Dan Bathker <dab_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:42:11 -0700

We may need to be careful with our terminology here. As I see it,
a biconical dipole is a balanced device requiring a balun to convert
the coax mode to one-terminal-pair push-pull. Also, considering a
vertical biconical the maximum gain is realized broadside, normal
to the dipole, i.e. towards the "horizon".

The discone is inherently unbalanced requiring no balun, even though
some coax feedline current/radiation seems inevitable and likely
should be controlled. And, whether the disk is atop or beneath the cone,
the radiation pattern point of maximum gain is a function of disk size (in
wavelength measure) therefore a function of frequency. That is to say,
the maximum gain point of the pattern is elevation-angle dependent.

For these reasons it's better to rely on the full biconical for wideband
measurements while for less-critical and narrower-band base-station
use the simplicity of the discone is attractive and the performance is
usually acceptable.

True balance seems difficult to achieve in any choice.