Re: NEC-LIST: Q of multiply-resonant antenna structures.

From: D. B. Miron <dbmiron_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 09:07:33 -0600

Good day,

I'd like to remind everybody that the energy-based definition is

Q=2*pi*(stored energy)/(energy lost per cycle)

which can be restated as

Q=(stored energy)/(energy lost per (2*pi radians)),

not (stored energy)/(energy lost per radian).

Even for simple elements or circuits, Q is a function of frequency. I agree
with Lux and Simpson that it is not very useful for complex wideband
circuits or assemblies. If, however, an antenna system has a number of
sharp resonances, Q can be found at each of these, and is meaningful
(useful).

Doug Miron