Re: NEC-LIST: Nec-2 windows-based Fortran compilation needed.

From: Dan Richardson <k6mhe_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:19:14 -0800

I don't believe it is a memory problem. Here's my runs for a large model.

Computer: 1 GHz Athlon with 512 Megs RAM

Model: 321 wires, 2,594 segments, 1 source

Run times:

         EZNEC Pro_M Version 3.0.48 726.7 seconds

         NEC WinPlus+ Version 1.11 151.9 seconds

         4nec2 Version 5.1 823.985 seconds

Danny

At 08:56 AM 1/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Your problem may not be the compiled code you created, but your XP setup.
> You may be running into a memory limitation and using virtual memory.
>Before you give up on your current route, check the use of memory first.
>Windows has always been a memory hog and many folks have run programs
>with memory control turned off for this reason. It is real easy for a
>program to go from 2 hours to more than 24 hours when virtual memory is
>used.
>
>I do not know enough about g77 to comment on the potential problems
>there.
>
> > to overcome the problem of not being able to run the 'traditional'
> > nec2d.exe executable (created by Jos Bergevoet) on the latest
> > windows-XP systems I looked for a way to get a more general nec-2
> > executable.
> >
> > I succeeded in getting the original nec-2 sources which I then
> > modified slightly to support more modern file-IO. Because of the 'none
> > commercial' intentions of all this I used the g77 compiler because it's
> > freeware status.
> >
> > But just yesterday I discovered one of the major drawbacks of this.
> > In some
> >
> > cases when using relatively large segment numbers the required
> > calculation time is some factor six more than when using the original
> > nec2d.exe.
> >
> > Now my hope is that I can contact people on this list who have
> > available a more state-of-the-art 'wintel' based Fortran compiler and
> > who are willing to compile and link my sources to create a stand-alone
> > windows-based executable file.
> >
> > As I can not attach these sources in this posting, for those who would
> > like to give it a try to support me, the sources are available in the
> > nec2dXS.zip file on www.qsl/net/wb6tpu/swindex.html, together with a
> > short description how I compiled then using the g77 compiler.
>--
>Dr. William A. Davis, Director of VT Antenna Lab
>The Bradley Dept of Elec & Comp Engr, Virginia Tech
>Blacksburg, VA 24061-0111 [(540)231-6307, 231-3362FAX]
>http://antenna.ece.vt.edu
>--

Danny
K6MHE

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.