NEC-LIST: FW: Low-Q

From: <alan.boswell_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:12:19 +0000

Dale

Thanks for your comments and I understand you are not claiming to have
solved all the practical problems. Where you distinguish field coupling
from element coupling there is a need for further clarification on two
matters.

The first is that the practical bandwidth of an antenna nearly always means
the band within which the input impedance meets some criterion (e.g. 2:1
swr) so that I do not think it is possible to detach bandwidth from input
impedance. Taking the electric-magnetic dipole pair, you have shown that
each element on its own might have a high Q, while placed close together and
fed in phase-quadrature the pair exhibit low Q. I am not sure whether you
are saying this automatically means that the input-impedance bandwidth of
the pair is also increased. You have shown that the stored energy is less
and that means low Q according to your argument, but does this imply a
higher input-impedance bandwidth? In other words I have not seen in your
papers the vital link between low Q and high bandwidth when your extended
definition of Q based on stored energy is in use (it might be there and I
missed it).

The reason I question that is that if there is low coupling between the
electric-magnetic dipole pair, that means there is little mutual impedance
between them. If that is true, then there can be little change in the input
impedance of either element when they are brought close together; therefore
the input-impedance bandwidth won't change much either. That seems to show
that element coupling as well as field coupling is important in the
practical application of the low-Q concept.

The second point is the orthogonality of a pair of adjacent parallel
dipoles, in which the two field distributions are nearly parallel at all
points further away than about five times the separation. In this case
there is strong field coupling all round, and strong element coupling also.
I did not understand in what sense you said these systems were mutually
orthogonal.

Thank you for your patience,

Best regards,

Alan Boswell