NEC-LIST: Propagation study

From: Dan Maguire <bethdan_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:11:05 -0800

In his ARRL Solar Update column of a few weeks ago, K7VVV mentioned a
comparison between March of last year and March of this year for a path from
Texas to Brazil. Just out of curiosity I decided to look at the same
scenario using VOACAP. One thing led to another and I ended up creating a
couple of sample plots and maps for Tad to look at.

If you are interested in such things, surf over to
www.qsl.net/ac6la/adhoc/taddemo.html to see the results. You'll find
animated comparisons of conditions for March of 2002, with a smoothed
sunspot number of 113, versus March of 2003 with a (predicted) SSN of 76.

So what does this have to do with the NEC List? The program that I used to
make this study can start with pretty much any antenna model that you
already have defined or that you would like to build, then use any of
several supported NEC-2, NEC-4, or MININEC engines to create a 3D radiation
pattern, then transform that pattern into a format that can be used by the
VOACAP engine for propagation studies.

Dan AC6LA
www.qsl.net/ac6la/