Re: NEC-LIST: Re: [Antenna Discussion] RE: Radiation From Antennas

From: <ekmiller_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:22:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I seem to have missed some recent discussion on NEC-LIST concerning
radiation about which there seems to be an ongoing discussion (I've not
included here any of the message that came in just today that brought this
to my attention to save space). Perhaps it's because we moved recently and
I'm a little distracted besides which I'm getting so damn much spam.

In any case, I checked my NEC-LIST e-mails and find that apparently the last
time I submitted anything about this topic was more than three years ago.
At that time a number of us had a fairly lively discussion going on about
radiation physics on NEC-LIST.

The purpose of this short note is to mention an article that Jerry Burke and
I published a little while ago in the ACES Journal on this topic. It is "E.
K. Miller and G. J. Burke (2001), 'A Multi-Perspective Examination of the
Physics of Electromagnetic Radiation,' Applied Computational
Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 190-201." Among the
items discussed there is the E-field "kink" model, and both a frequency- and
a time-domain version of something that I developed in late 1999 which I
call FARS (Farfield Analysis of Radiation Sources). More recently I
presented some results based on the time-average Poynting vector along wire
objects that seems to offer some promise concerning radiation [E. K. Miller
(2002), "A Poynting-Vector Approach to Determine Where Radiation Originates
from the Surface of a Perfect Conductor," National Radio Science Meeting,
Boulder, CO, January 9-12, p. 74.]. I should mention also that Joe Jahoda
had put me in touch with the 1942 article by Schelkunoff and Feldman, and
the results they derive there agree essentially with FARS for a sinusoidal
current filament. But FARS is based entirely on the far field while their
work uses the near field.

I could provide .pdf files of some of this work to anyone who might be
interested. Maybe I'm fooling myself but I think I'm getting a bit of a
handle on some of the issues involved, which are currently being written in
a draft article. Perhaps I should add that charge acceleration does play a
central role in my thinking about this.

Best wishes,

Ed Miller

--