Re: NEC-LIST: Q of small antennas.

From: Best Steven R Civ AFRL/SNHA <Steven.Best_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:16:04 -0800 (PST)

The expression for antenna Q, valid for all ranges of
frequency, that is through ranges of both resonance and
anti-resonance is

Q = (w/2R) |dZ/dw|,

where dZ/dw (the frequency derivative of impedance) is
calculated for the antenna after it has been tuned at each
frequency, w, with a lossless series reactance. Q is only
meaningful for the tuned antenna. (The expression posted
by Doug makes this same assumption.) |dZ/dw| for the tuned
antenna can be written in terms of dR/dw and dX/dw so that
the formula for Q can be written as follows:

Q = (w/2R) SQRT[ (dR/dw)^2 + (dX/dw + |X|/w)^2 ]

This is a new modification of the formula posted by Doug to
include the dR/dw term. This expression is more accurate in
frequency ranges of resonance (dX/dw > 0) and it corrects the
inherent error in the other formula in regions of
anti-resonance (dX/dw < 0). Using the other formula in
regions of anti-resonance would give negative values for Q.

[Note also that the Foster reactance theorem is not valid
for antennas. In regions of anti-resonance, dX/dw < 0 for
the lossless and lossy antenna.]

Steve Best