Re: NEC-LIST: Q of small antennas.

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:26:03 -0800 (PST)

>Good day,
>
>Several times over the last few years, antenna Q has been a
>hot topic on NEC-LIST. Recently, in an effort to be less
>behind on my reading, I found several articles on the
>subject in this year's IEEE Trans. A&P, and went back to a
>referenced paper from 2000, all listed below. [1] and [3]
>give different methods of calculating Q from the numerical
>solution of the antenna's current and radiation. [1] argues
>that the traditional expressions for minimum Q give values
>that are too small, and discusses some factors that affect Q
>for small antennas. [2] and [4] are re-examina;tions of
>minimum Q and maximum gain/Q. For NEC users, [4] gives a
>circuit-based expression for Q that I like (eq. (55))
>
>Q=0.5[w dX/dw + |X|)/R, w=2 pi frequency.
>
>I've left off the sub and super scripts. Be wary of typos
>in [2-4]. I think, but I'm not certain, they are all
>obvious.
>
>Doug Miron
>
>[1] Thiele, Detweiler, and Penno, "On the Lower Bound of the
>Radiation Q for Electrically Small Antennas", IEEE Trans.
>A&P, vol. 54, no. 6, pp1263-1269, June, 2003.
>[2] W. Geyi, "Physical Limitations of Antennas", IEEE Trans.
>A&P, vol. 54, no. 8, pp2116-2123, August, 2003.
>[3] W. Geyi, "A Method for the Evaluation of Small Antenna
>Q", IEEE Trans. A&P, vol. 54, no. 8, pp2124-2129, August,
>2003.
>[4] Geyi, Jarmuszewski, and Qi, "The Foster Reactance
>Theorem for Antennas and Radiation Q", IEEE Trans. A&P, vol.
>48, no. 3, pp401-408, March, 2000.
>
>--

One has to be careful comparing measured Q-factor with calculated
Q-factor in the case of narrow band antennas.

NEC calculates the antenna system's unloaded Q-factor. When you
measure Q-factor by measuring SWR using a tuned RF power amplifier,
or using a SWR Bridge (which is referenced to a real 50 ohm
resistance), you are measuring the loaded Q-factor. The effective
bandwidth of a narrow band antenna is increased by a factor of 1.5-2
times the unloaded Q-factor bandwidth (typically closer to a factor
of 1.5 than to 2) --- 1.6 determined for electrically small compact
loops.

In the case of an RF power amplifier the effective output impedance
is 50-ohms, if the amplifier is tuned to deliver maximum available
design power to a 50 ohm load. .The output impedance of the tuned RF
power amplifier is a dissipationless impedance. The bandwidth of
narrow band antennas is increased, but since the output impedance is
dissipationless, the 50-ohm output impedance of the tuned RF power
amplifier does not represent a power loss. If it did when matched we
would have an efficiency of 50-percent. It is well known that the
efficiency of class B and C power amplifiers is considerably greater
than 50-ohms.

John S. (Jack) Belrose, VE2CV

John S. (Jack) Belrose, PhD Cantab, VE2CV
LIFE SENIOR MEMBER of the IEEE
Fellow Radio Club of America
Atyhlobne Fellow
Radioscientist Emeritus Researcher