Re: NEC-LIST: Designing a power splitter with a 90-degree phase

From: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:20:04 -0700 (PDT)

At 03:49 PM 6/22/2004 -0700, Azmat Bhatty wrote:
>I'm trying to design an antenna up to 250 MHz and I would like to design a
>power splitter. One of those "splits" should cause a 90-degree phase
>shift. I have thought of using the "TL" line with one end having a purely
>imaginary impedance and the other end as well as the character all real
>(50 ohms for real and j50 for imaginary).
>
>Seems like the solution is too simple. Is there a better (and correct)
>method to implement such a split? Thanks for the input.
>
>Azmat Bhatty
>Engineering Tech

Actually, what you probably want is a Network NT card, set up appropriately.

The TL card will have a transformation that varies as frequency, because
the TL will be different lengths (in a fraction of lambda sense).

The other approach would be just to define two excitation sources, with the
phases of the excitations set appropriately: (1,0) for one and (0,1) for
the other, for instance.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive