Re: NEC-LIST: Modeling a planar array

From: Jim Lux <james.p.lux_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:52:04 -0500

If you're looking to point the beam normal to the plane of the array, then
the phases are all the same.
If you're pointing off to the side, then the easiest thing to start with is
to use a phase that is proportional to the displacement in the look
direction:
If x[] is a vector representing the position of the phase center of the
element
and l[] is a unit vector representing the look direction

then
phase shift = -2 * pi/lambda * dotproduct (x[], l[])

You can use other phase shifts (this is what superdirective arrays, do, for
instance)

Something to be aware of though... with elements close together, there will
be significant mutual interaction among the elements, so you'll need to
drive them with current sources to get the pattern to come out right. If you
use voltage sources (or 50 ohm sources), the mutual Z between elements will
result in changes. There will also be certain scan angles/look directions
where the gain drops off.