Re: NEC-LIST: Currents on TX line, with voltage source connected.

From: J.L. Smith <jlsmithpe_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:08:20 -0400

Nikhil -

Remember that in NEC the transmission line is just a special case of
the non-radiating network.

I presume that you have used a dummy segment to feed the transmission
line. That is, you have used a very short segment that is located far
away. When doing that, the voltage source will look into the dummy
segment in parallel with the transmission line.

The current shown in the output file under the
heading - - -Structure Excitation Data at Network Connection
Points - - - is that current flowing into the dummy segment and the
corresponding impedance is the very high capacitive reactance of the
very short dummy segment. The current shown in the output file under
the heading - - - Antenna Input Parameters - - - is the sum of the
current flowing into the dummy segment plus the current flowing into
the transmission line. In the latter case, the corresponding
impedance is the parallel impedances of the short dummy segment and
the transmission line.

The drive point impedance seen by the drive source is that shown under
the heading - - - Antenna Input Parameters - - - .

This is explained in detail on page 60 of my book titled "Basic NEC
with Broadcast Applications" available from Barnes and Noble,
Amazon.com, etc.

I hope this helps.

J.L. Smith