Re: NEC-LIST: Fortran execution speed

From: Kok Chen <chen_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:05:09 -0400

On Jul 13, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Darryl Holder wrote:

> I abandoned that [Windows] platform and compiled the NEC-4 code from
> source using
> g77 on a Macintosh running the MacOS X (Unix-based) system. Using the
> resources posted on this list by John B. Wood 03/04/04:

I have step-by-step instructions here for compiling NEC4.1 using
gfortran; there are a couple of changes that you need to make to the
source:

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaNEC/Contents/NEC4.html

Just scroll down almost halfway to the paragraph "Building the NEC-4
Unix Executable."

There are some "magic" MAXSEG values which somehow wouldn't compile,
but MAXSEG of 30,000 (the upper limit in NEC-4) appears to work fine.

If you don't already have gfortran on your machine, you will also need
to install gfortran and that is described further down the page in
"Installing gfortran." You will need to install gfortran not just to
compile, but also for its runtime libraries. Also, gfortran is not
Universal Binary, so you will need to build PowerPC and Intel versions
individually.

Kok Chen