Re: NEC-LIST: Lahey LF90 vs DEC PowerStation

From: David Gaudine <david_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 16:01:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998 w7el_at_teleport.com wrote:

> Well, it's about time to reach for the wallet and decide whether to
> upgrade to Lahey LF90 v. 4, or to jump ship and get the DEC
> Powerstation. Last I heard, the DEC compiler ran circles around Lahey
> for speed in running NEC, with as much as 2 or 3 times speed
> improvement being reported.

Make sure that such comparissons are done using -O4 or whatever is
appropriate to get the maximum optimization from each compiler. The
DEC compiler is the only one I've ever used that compiles with maximum
(or near maximum) optimization by default, so it scores well vs. other
compilers when the default options are used.