NEC-LIST: Lahey LF90 vs DEC PowerStation

From: <w7el_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:33:37 -0800 (PST)

Well, it's about time to reach for the wallet and decide whether to
upgrade to Lahey LF90 v. 4, or to jump ship and get the DEC
Powerstation. Last I heard, the DEC compiler ran circles around Lahey
for speed in running NEC, with as much as 2 or 3 times speed
improvement being reported. I've liked the Lahey compiler and the
support, and the development environment isn't bad, so I don't want to
defect arbitrarily. But if I can really gain a large speed
improvement, it'll be worthwhile to change. Are people still finding
large speed advantages to the DEC compiler? Any comments about the
support or other issues? My present interest is in NEC-2 and -4
running as a standalone application under Windows 95 or Windows NT.

All comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Roy Lewallen