Re: NEC-LIST: mininec, NEC4?

From: Vladimir Podnos <podnos_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:53:44 +0400

Hi All!

-----Original Message-----
From: Fractenna <fractenna_at_aol.com>
To: nec-list_at_ee.ubc.ca <nec-list_at_ee.ubc.ca>
Date: Thursday, 09 July, 1998 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: NEC-LIST: mininec, NEC4?

>> Could anyone enlighten me on the general capabilities of the various
>> analysis programs available for electromagnetics? I have an
>> application which simple wire geometries wont cover. I'm wondering
>> what the capabilities of NEC4 are, cost, source, etc.
>
>FDTD and FEM programs are generally preferred for complex, non-wire
>geometries. IE3D is the most popular for those without a $25,000
>budget. But they are all tricky/hard to use to some extent. They all
>work.

In some cases 2D FEM programs may be more effective than 3D ones, of
course if if your problem geometry is 2D (plane-parallel or
axisymmetrical).

2D programs are usually more simple to use, they are less expensive
and need cheaper platform. E.g. you may try our QuickField - it works
on any PC, and could be evaluated for free.

http://www.tor.ru/quickfield

With regards,
Vladimir