NEC-LIST: Xeon vs Pentium II - 450 comparison???

From: Ed Troy <etroy_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:11:49 -0500

Has anyone seen anything comparing the performance of the Pentium II
Xeon chip with a conventional Pentium II? I would like to upgrade my
computing facilities, and I suspect that I would see a big improvement
by going to the Xeon chip. HOWEVER, it represents a huge price
increase, and I have not seen anything in print that defines the
performance improvement to be had by going to the Xeon chip. Most of
my computing involves intensive synthesis and optimization, and so I
can gain by using a chip set optimized for sheer computational power;
however, you can buy a whole bunch of 450 MHz Pentium II chips for the
price of one Xeon chip with 1 MB of cache.

I also run many programs at once, so running a multi-processor NT box
is advantageous. The question is, do individual applications run
significantly better on the Xeon chipset. I am suprised that I have
seen no comparisons in the media. Lots of stuff saying that the Xeon
is great as a server, but what about pure number crunching?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Troy

Aerospace Consulting
(215) 345-7184 (215) 345-1309 (fax)
http://www.aeroconsult.com

RF, Microwave, Analog and DSP design and development. Synthesizers,
Antennas, Transmitters, Receivers, Proposal Assistance, Circuit Board
Layout, Amplifiers, Simulation, Analysis, Technology Evaluation, GPS
Applications