Re: NEC-LIST: Xeon vs Pentium II - 450 comparison???

From: <bergervo_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:14:10 +0100 (MET)

> Dave Michelson wrote:
> If performance is a concern, switching to Linux or one of the other
> free Unices will almost certainly give you a performance boost.

If performance of NEC is what you want, replace piece of Fortran code
which does the matrix factorization with calls to an optimized math-
library (e.g. Lapack). With the (free download) Intel version you get
a performance boost of about 3.

The difference between Linux and MsW is much smaller, although like
Dave, I would opt for Linux (and then use Greg Henry's math library.)

Actually, maybe someone already has rewritten the (small) piece of
factorization code for the speed improvement. Please let us know!

Greetings,
Jos

---------
  Dr. Jozef R. Bergervoet Electromagnetism and EMC
  Philips Research Laboratories, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
  Building WS01 FAX: +31-40-2742224
  E-mail: bergervo_at_natlab.research.philips.com Phone: +31-40-2742403