Re: NEC-LIST: The Wheeler Cap

From: Prof Duncan Baker <dbaker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:14:36 +0200

Dear Chip and all,

I can see no reason why this cannot be done at VHF, and if one uses a
decent chicken coop with small mesh for the box all round, it should
work. Any thoughts on this? Experience related to me many years ago
in connection with a VHF reflecting screen suggests the wire mesh
should be galvanized after manufacture in order to have good
electrical continuity, and also frequent solder joints along seams.
In the case related, the screen was erected near the copast, and soon
developed "holes" leading to leakage in the back direction. The
"holes" were due to corrosion effects and subsequent poor electrical
conduction.

Any experience with this mesh approach out there?

Best regards,
Duncan.

Prof. Duncan C. Baker (Pr. Eng., FIEEE, FSAIEE)
Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Eng.,
University of Pretoria, 0002 Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA.
Editor, IEEE Region 8 News.
R8 Homepage - http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/8/  or
   http://www.ieee.org/regional/r8/
PHONE +27 12 420 2775 (OFFICE), +27 12 361 7480  (HOME)
FAX   +27 12 362 5000 (OFFICE),  +27 12 348 5314 (HOME)
E-MAIL: dbaker_at_postino.up.ac.za (PREFERRED ADDRESS)
        IEEE alias address: duncan.baker_at_ieee.org
 Private server address:  apc_at_acenet.co.za
LOCAL STANDARD TIME = UT+2 HOURS