NEC-LIST: Radiation

From: EDMUND K MILLER <EKMILLER_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:48:07 -0600

Hi David,

> Thanks for the reply. I see you are talking about an impulse response
> in the time domain (say with an FDTD calculation?).

Although however one obtains the time-domain response the same result
should be obtained, the phenomena I've been exploring come from TWTD
(Thin-Wire Time Domain), a time-domain integral-equation model
developed by Jerry Burke way back about 1970. Some researchers at
Granada Univeristy in Spain (Amelia Bretones and Rafael Gomez Martine)
have more recently extended this mind of model.

> Didn't Harmuth
> investigate impulsive 'dipole' radiation. It seems his explanation is
> similar to yours, though it has been many years since I've read his
> book.

I've never really looked at Harmuth's stuff very closely. His
terminology, as opposed to using the term "time-domain", was instead
to use the descriptor "non-sinusoidal". It was intended as well to be
broader band than CW, which by definition makes it what is now
generally called the time domain.

I chose to use the time-domain example because in some ways it's much
easier to visualize than in the freuqency domain. But, I'd like to
emphasize that the "kink model" of EM radiation can, I believe,
provide a very simple starting point to understanding why radiation
occurs, all without the benefit of any equations. As a matter of
fact, I've written an article for IEEE Potentials, the student
magazine, having the title "ELECTROMAGNETICS WITHOUT EQUATIONS" based
on the field-kink model (not yet published) that I hope will make EM
more interesting to non-EMers.

Best wishes,

Ed

--